Information on Medical Visa to India
All the foreign nationals entering India should possess a valid international travel document in the form of a national passport with a valid visa obtained from an Indian Mission or Post abroad. The availability, criteria and eligibility of getting a medical visa to India matters. Hence you should know all the information about the medical visa to India.
All individual Visa seeking Indian Visa are requested to apply through the Online Application link. The applicants are also requested to visit website of the Indian Mission concerned for detailed information about Indian Visa.
Eligible Candidates for Medical Visa to India
You are eligible candidate for medical visa to India depending on the following criteria:
- If you seek medical treatments at a reputed, recognized or specialized hospital in India.
- A maximum of two attendants can accompany you to India and they have to be your family members. The duration of the visa is same as that of your medical visa
- You will be considered for medical visa, if you are suffering from the following ailments:
- Cardiac illness
- Renal disorders
- Ophthalmic disorders
- Congenital disorders
- Organ transplantation
- Plastic surgery
- Gene therapy
- Orthopaedic treatments
Difference between the Medical Visa and Tourism Visa
|It is for people who are going to have treatments in another country.||It is for those who are going abroad for recreation and travelling purposes.|
|It needs visa invitation letter from the hospital.||It doesn’t need any such documents.|
|The patient need to share their medical reports provided by both the local doctor and the one he/she has consulted abroad with embassy.||Medical records do not play a significant part to acquire this visa.|
|There is an entry portal which limits the patients to a particular city where they want their treatment to be done and this cannot be changed later.||One can go anywhere he/she wants in a country.|
|It costs more than tourist visa.||It doesn’t cost much.|
Documents required for Medical Visa to India
The following documents are needed to apply for Medical Visa to India:
- For Adults
- Address Proof: Submit a proof of your current address.
- Utility bill (water, electricity or gas) that must be more than three months old;
- State issued driver’s license having a validity for the next 6 months;
- The address cannot include a P.O. Box
- Valid lease with the signature of the landlord or tenant (this is applicable only for those that are arriving from Atlanta, Houston or New York. For those who are from New York, the lease has to be notarized).
- For family or group applications only one copy of the address proof is needed in case the family resides in the same house.
- Mobile bills, bank statements credit card statements, or lease agreements will not be accepted.
- College or university students who stay in the university housing or dormitory has to submit a letter from the institution with the exact current address mentioned on the letterhead.
- Photographs: One recent colour photograph of size 51mm * 51mm is needed. The photograph should be taken with a white background. It should be a front side photo with no shadows or patches. The face should be clear from above the forehead to the tip of the chin.
- Residents of Pakistan have to provide four photographs. The photo should be shot up to the shoulders.
- Passports: Provide the current passport with 180 days of validity and two blank pages. Applicants who have dual citizenship with the U.S and another country should provide their US passport.
- Bangladesh citizens need to fill two forms and provide two photos.
- A copy of the passport of the patient applying for medical visa. If the visa has already been issued then a copy of the medical visa is also needed.
- Medical reports on the basis of which the medical visa was granted.
- Non-US citizens has to provide a copy of the permanent resident card and employment authorization card showing pages H1/H4, L1/L2, F1/F2, J1/J2 etc.
- Marriage or birth certificate issued by the government to prove the relation with the patient and the one who is accompanying him/her.
- For Minors
- Only birth certificates are accepted for US born minors
- Minors of other countries should submit their birth certificate copy or any government issued documents showing parents’ name, date of birth and nationality. The documents should be translated to English and should be notarized.
Visa invitation letter
You need a visa letter invitation when applying for a medical visa to India. It is a formal document which is sent to the patient from the hospital of his/her desired country that sanctions his/her medical treatment in that hospital of the country. This also serves the purpose of a proof that the patient has indeed contacted with that hospital and will be undergoing his/her treatment.
The visa invitation letter contains the patient details and his/her ailment details, the treatment procedure and duration of the treatment involved. Hence a visa invitation letter is an important and mandatory document needed during the application and the sanction of a medical visa to the patient.
|Country||Duration||Visa Fee (in US dollars)|
|US||6 months - 1 Year||107.70 - 147.70|
|Nigeria||6 months - 1 year||80 - 120|
|UK||6 months - 1 year||136.70 - 136.70|
|Sri Lanka||6 months - 1 year||31.70 - 34.70|
|New Zealand||6 months - 1 year||359 - 487|
|New Zealand||6 months - 1 year||359 - 487|
|Kenya||6 months - 1 year||80 - 120|
|Nepal||6 months - 1 year||80 - 119|
|Mali||6 months - 1 year||110 - 165|
|Myanmar||6 months - 1 year||80 - 120|
|Ethiopia||6 months - 1 year||92 - 132|
|Fiji||6 months - 1 year||180 -|
|Uzbekistan||6 months - 1 year||83 - 123|
|Kazakhstan||6 months - 1 year||90 - 135|
|Ghana||6 months - 1 year||90 - 135|
|Ghana||6 months - 1 year||345 - 518|
|Kyrgyzstan||6 months - 1 year||83 - 124|
The Consular fee is not charged for the following country nationals:
- South Africa
- Korea, DPR North Korea
Visa Extensions: When, How, Where, Essential Documents
Medical visa extension can be difficult as one has to get an officially written document of permission from the reputed hospital he/she is having treatment in. additionally, it involves the Bureau of Immigration under the Ministry of Home Affairs in India will taking it under detailed scrutiny. So the most vital thing to get a medical visa extended is to get the documents right.
Here’s the list of the essential documents for a medical visa extension:
- Applicant’s photo
- Page indicating validity
- Photo page
- Visa with endorsement
- Page bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration
- In case of rented accommodation, copy of the lease and license agreement (first and last page containing validity) is needed.
- Form C copy from Hotel or Lodge/ electricity bill/ landline telephone/ municipal bill of the landlord if staying in a friend or relative’s house along with a letter and photo id card of the landlord.
- Registration Certificate / Residential Permit.
- Letter from recognized/reputed hospital where the treatment is taken clearly mentioning the duration of the treatment and period of extension as per the need.
The foreigner regional registration office (FRRO) is the primary agency regulating the registration, stay, movement, departure, and also extension of stay in India.
Tips to crack the medical visa interviewMedical visa interviews can be quite confusing since the consulate officer will be asking you a lot of questions. If you are not confident enough or if you cannot answer certain questions, then it marks a negative impression on him. Besides being confident, the best thing that you do is to practice answering in a concise and straight manner by practicing your answers. Know your details and the details of the one accompanying you thoroughly. Speak for yourself.
Few things the consulate officer is going to ask you are:
- Your address and contacts
- About your passport
- Your relation with the person
- The address and contacts of the one who is accompanying you
- Reason for choosing India
- Your ailment in particular
- Medical reports
- Treatment in your native country
- Time needed for the treatment.
Ensure to carry all the important documents, both original as well as photocopied, during your visa interview. If you cannot produce any of the necessary documents then your visa application may get cancelled.