Shoulder Replacement Surgery in India
Shoulder Replacement Surgery:
The shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint. The "ball" is formed by the top of your upper arm bone (humerus) and the "socket" is the end of your shoulder blade (scapula). During a shoulder replacement, a metal ball on a stem is inserted into your upper arm bone and a plastic surface is fitted onto the socket. You may have a shoulder replacement if you have osteoarthritis in your shoulder and your rotator cuff is intact. The rotator cuff is made up of a group of four muscles and their tendons. It plays a crucial role in keeping your shoulder joint stable.
If you have severe arthritis, a torn rotator cuff or have already had a shoulder replacement that was unsuccessful; your surgeon may decide to do a reverse shoulder replacement. During this procedure, the metal ball is attached to your shoulder blade and the plastic socket is fitted to the top of your upper arm bone. An artificial joint usually lasts at least 10 years, after which it may need to be replaced.
Conditions for Shoulder Replacement Surgery:
Shoulder replacement surgery may be required in following conditions:
- Osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Post-traumatic arthritis
- Rotator cuff tear arthropathy (a combination of severe arthritis and a massive non-reparable rotator cuff tendon tear)
- Avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis)
- Failed previous shoulder replacement surgery
Shoulder Replacement Surgery Preparation:
- Before Shoulder replacement surgery surgeon provides information on the state of the joint space, the position of the humeral head in relation to the glenoid, the presence of bony defects or deformity, and the quality of the bone. If glenoid wear is observed, a computed tomography (CT) scan is usually performed to evaluate the degree of bone loss.
- The treating physician usually performs a general medical evaluation several weeks before shoulder joint replacement surgery to assess the patient's general health condition and risk for anesthesia.
- The results of this examination are forwarded to the orthopedic surgeon, along with a surgical clearance.
- Patients are advised to eat properly and take a daily iron supplement some weeks before surgery.
- Several types of tests are usually required, including blood tests, a cardiogram, a urine sample, and a chest x ray. Patients may be required to stop taking certain medications until surgery is over.
Shoulder Replacement Surgery Procedure:
There are several different types of shoulder replacements.
Total Shoulder Replacement
The usual total shoulder replacement involves replacing the arthritic joint surfaces with a highly polished metal ball attached to a stem, and a plastic socket.
The components come in various sizes. If the bone is of good quality, your surgeon may choose to use a non-cemented or press-fit humeral component. If the bone is soft, the humeral component may be implanted with bone cement. In most cases, an all-plastic glenoid component is implanted with bone cement. Implantation of a glenoid component is not advised if:
- The glenoid has good cartilage.
- The glenoid bone is severely deficient.
- The rotator cuff tendons are irreparably torn.
Patients with bone-on-bone osteoarthritis and intact rotator cuff tendons are generally good candidates for conventional total shoulder replacement.
Depending on the condition of the shoulder, your surgeon may replace only the ball. Sometimes, this decision is made in the operating room at the time of the surgery. Some surgeons replace the ball when it is severely fractured and the socket is normal.
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
Another type of shoulder replacement is called reverse total shoulder replacement. This surgery was developed in Europe in the 1980s. It was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States in 2004. Reverse total shoulder replacement is used for people who have:
- Completely torn rotator cuffs and
- The effects of severe arthritis (cuff tear arthropathy) or
- Had a previous shoulder replacement that failed
X-Rays before and after reverse total shoulder replacement for cuff tear arthropathy
For these individuals, a conventional total shoulder replacement can still leave them with pain. They may also be unable to lift their arm up past a 90-degree angle. Not being unable to lift one's arm away from the side can be severely debilitating. In reverse total shoulder replacement, the socket and metal ball are switched. That means a metal ball is attached to the shoulder bone and a plastic socket is attached to the upper arm bone. This allows the patient to use the deltoid muscle instead of the torn rotator cuff to lift the arm.
Recovery after Shoulder Replacement Surgery:
- Do not use your surgery arm to get up out of bed or from a chair position. Use the opposite arm.
- You may be advised not to pull anything to you, such as pulling up pants and opening doors, for six weeks after surgery.
- Your doctor will likely give you a list of exercises to do once you're home. Be certain to follow your doctor's instructions, but typically you will be asked to do these four or five times a day for a month or so.
- You may experience less pain after surgery, which may make you believe you can do more.
- Be certain to follow your doctor's instructions so that you don't overdo it.
- The amount of weight you can lift using your surgery arm will be limited. You doctor may recommend that you don't lift anything heavier than a cup of coffee for the first four to six weeks.
- Sling use will vary depending upon the situation, but your doctor may request that you wear the sling every night for at least the first month.
- Avoid many household chores such as, raking, sweeping, mopping, and running the vacuum cleaner using your surgery arm. Use long-handled feather dusters for dusting high and low items. Your doctor will tell you when it is okay to do these activities.
Shoulder Replacement Surgery in India:
There are many advantages of Shoulder replacement surgery in India. Some of them are:
- International accredited partner hospitals, patient centered approach with well equipped facilities. English speaking staff, providing personalized and caring service at par with any best hospital in the world.
- Extensive investments have been made to ensure that all medical centers are equipped with modern facilities; internationally accredited hospitals of India are capable of handling the latest techniques and procedures. These state-of-the-art facilities focus on what matters: more effective, efficient and pleasant solutions for patients.
- With all medical centers equipped with modern facilities, medical centers in India are able to provide shorter waiting time. Patients may be hospitalized upon arrival, and examinations and work-up tests are usually addressed promptly.
- The Indian government has made it easier for visitors seeking health treatments to enter the country. With the relevant letter from the medical centre at which you will be receiving your medical treatment, you may enjoy up to six months of visa extension.
Shoulder replacement surgery in India is available in following cities;
- India's favorable exchange rate and the cost of healthcare services are at an extensively lower cost than that of other countries. If you're coming from a Western country such as the United States or Britain, medical procedures in India will generally cost a fraction of the price as compared to prices back home.
- India is the most preferable destination for low cost Shoulder replacement surgery.
- From comfortable and affordable hotels to five-star accommodations, India provides you with a choice to budget or splurge. Hotels start from as low as USD50 to USD150 per night depending on its star rating. Alternatively, if your family is accompanying you for treatment, there is also an option to rent a serviced apartment.
- In the following table you can see the cost difference of getting the Shoulder replacement surgery done in India and other countries.
Shoulder replacement Surgery in India- Go with Tour2india4health Group:
- Tour2india4health Group is one of the leading medical tourism companies in India. It is pioneer in providing best healthcare services for Shoulder replacement surgery in India at low cost.
- You just have to send us a query regarding your Shoulder replacement surgery and within 24 hours, a patient coordinator will contact you for further details and interaction.
- That patient coordinator will make all the arrangements for VISA, accommodation, appointment with the doctor with round the clock services to make your medical tour hassle free.
- We provide well-qualified and professional doctors, surgeons, physicians, and medical staff who aid you in recovery from your ailment and ensure a safe and healthy journey back home.
Some of the common countries from which patients travel to India for surgery are: